3rd July 2020
UK Government easing of lockdown allows remaining Essex recycling centres to reopen from Friday 10 July
Following the UK Government’s announcement easing social distancing restrictions Essex County Council is pleased to open the final six small recycling centres which have remained closed since 24 March.
Essex County Council is urging residents to be aware that when the recycling centres do open, restrictions and strict social distancing controls will be in place to make sure residents and site staff are safe. These restrictions will include limiting the number of cars on site at any one time. This means when the recycling centres reopen, at 9am on Friday 10th July, we expect very long queues to get into the sites.
Any residents showing symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolating or shielding should not visit any recycling centre and should follow advice from Public Health England.
Cllr Simon Walsh, Essex County Council Cabinet member for Environment and Climate Change Action, said: “I’m pleased to announce the government’s easing of lockdown has meant we’re able to safely open these smaller recycling centres.
“With all recycling centres in Essex open on Friday 10th July, the priority remains the same – we must ensure the safety of residents and site staff, which is why a number of new restrictions and social distancing measures have been put in place.
“These safety measures will make your visit take longer than normal, so please be patient and expect long queues. To avoid these queues, I’d urge anyone able to make use of other ways to dispose of their waste, such as kerbside collections, to do so. I’d like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding at this time.”
What to expect if visiting a recycling centre
To ensure the safety of residents and site staff, new site restrictions are in place. Please follow site staff instructions, treat site staff with respect and be considerate of other site users.
- The number of vehicles allowed onto the site will be controlled at the gate
- Site staff will be directing traffic and will show you were to park.
- Only one person to exit the vehicle when on site.
- Please always maintain social distancing from site staff and other site users.
- Only bring waste or items you can unload yourself. Site staff are unable to help unload your vehicle.
- Users are unable to park vehicles outside the site and walk waste in.
- Please do not queue before sites are open as this will add to local traffic congestion. You may be asked to move on if you are causing an obstruction.
Recycling centre opening hours and site restrictions are subject to change and residents should check www.loveessex.org/newrules before visiting any site.