Coronavirus – (COVID19 – Corona Virus Disease 19)
For more information on this potentially deadly virus, click here.
In summary, the government’s health campaign promotes the message of Catch it, Bin it, Kill it – which is all about enhanced hygiene:
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin.
- Wash your hands often – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available. This is particularly important after taking public transport.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- If you feel unwell, stay at home, do not attend work or school.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home and work environment.
- if you are worried about your symptoms, please call NHS 111. Do not go directly to your GP or other healthcare environment.
- see the Public Health England Blog
There is currently no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus.
Our world-class NHS is well prepared, and everything is being done to protect the public.
Have you or your friends or relatives been to China recently?
People who have travelled back from the Hubei province in China within the last 14 days are being asked to:
- stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
- call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the city