The Thomas Plume Library was founded in 1704 via the will of Dr Thomas Plume (born in Maldon in 1630).
He bequeathed his collection of some 8,100 books and pamphlets, to be kept in the building which he had constructed from the ruins of the old St Peter’s Church.
The building still houses his books, as well as his small collection of paintings.
Although they may no longer be borrowed, books from the Library may be consulted without appointment during normal opening hours, (identification required).
The address is Plume Building, Market Hill, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4PZ.
Tel: (01621) 854 850